The 2016 season proved to be a frustrating one.
The team was very strong defensively, allowing only three goals against.
This represented the second time in three years that the Varsity Reds had the fewest goals allowed in the entire country. While the team possessed the ball well, this did not always lead to creating enough goals.
Ultimately, this is what lead to the team’s downfall as it lost 1-0 in the conference semi-final.
· Evan Barker: 1st Team All-Conference, 2nd Team All-Canadian
· Diego Padilha: 1st Team All-Conference
· Marcus Lees: 2ndTeam All-Conference
· Jose Lopez: 2ndTeam All-Conference
· George Lawton: 2ndTeam All-Conference
The University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds Men’s Soccer team has experienced success in recent years at both the Atlantic University Sport(AUS) conference level as well as the Canadian Inter-University Sport(CIS), now U Sports Canada, level.
Over the past five seasons, the Varsity Reds have:
· A league record of 40 wins, 10 ties, and 12 losses.
· Earned a berth in each of the last 5 AUS Championship tournaments, winning three conference championships and finishing second once.
· Earned 21 berths on conference All-Star teams, two Rookie of the Year citations, two Coach of the Year citations, a Community Service award, and two Most Valuable Player of AUS Championship Awards.
· Consistently been ranked in the national Top 10 polls.
· Qualified for four national championships. During this time, the team won a national silver medal and a national bronze medal. The team’s record at their last three national championships includes 5 wins, 3 regulation ties(shoot-out results: 1 win & 2 losses), and one regulation loss. Over these nine national championship games, the Varsity Reds outscored their opponents 14 to 8.
· Earned six berths on All-Canadian teams, a national Coach of the Year citation, and five national championship All-Stars.