UNB charges into AUS finals with a commanding 5-0 win over Memorial

UNB charges into AUS finals with a commanding 5-0 win over Memorial

(ST. JOHN'S, N.L.) The UNB Varsity Reds men's soccer team looked strong in the AUS semifinal match against the host team in Newfoundland. They charge into the finals with a convincing 5-0 win over the Memorial Sea-Hawks.

UNB opened up the scoring early in the first half with a goal from striker Oliver Jones. The Sea-Hawks barely had time to regroup before the Varsity Reds scored again. Marcus Lees had the goal that time and UNB was up 2-0 less than 15 minutes into the match. Around minute 28, George Lawton landed a great strike with an assist from Victor Karosan, and the V-Reds would go into halftime up 3-0.

The sixth-seeded Sea-Hawks struggled to find the momentum they had in yesterday's upset win over third-seeded StFX, and UNB would continue to dominate the second half. Jones racked up his second goal of the match around the 57th minute. Finally, Robert Park found the net around minute 77, and UNB would end the game with a commanding victory.

UNB head coach Miles Pinsent says the action out on the field today spoke to the importance of having the first round bye.

"That was something we identified that we wanted to get early in training camp," he said. "From here we'll just watch the other semi-final and take some notes on the opponents and get organized."

It was a chilly and windy day on the pitch in St. John's, but Pinsent says he doesn't expect that to cool down UNB's red-hot upbeaten streak. 

"It's November in Newfoundland, so you can't complain," he said. "It was just a really good effort today by everybody. We had great goal scorers and a great defensive effort. Today's performance was one where they just went out and executed what we planned. And that's what we'll work out for tomorrow."

Player of the Game for UNB went to Steve Miller. 


The Varsity Reds will face the winner of the semi-final game between UPEI and Cape Breton.